Sunday, April 15, 2018

2018 Springtime 10k in Tallahassee (Ann Centner)

I still remember my first 10k at age 16. It was about a month after my best track season to date, where I won 3A 800m (2:17) and placed 3rd in the 1600m (5:07) in a tough field at Hugh Mills Stadium. My friend convinced me to run the Torture Trail 10k up in Eatonton and being a self-proclaimed 800 and miler I was apprehensive of the distance. But I agreed, after all I should probably begin training for the upcoming cross country season. I remember halfway through the race legs and lungs burning with the effort wondering if I could finish, and vowing never to do another 10k. In the back of my mind I hoped I would be able to win, after all there was a $100 prize for 1st. I ended up running 43:30 placing 3rd, exhausted; it was a torturous trail. This Saturday turned out different.
    After the Albany half (the first Saturday in March), I took about a week and a half off speed work and kept my mileage around 35 miles/week. The 3rd week of March I started workouts. The fourth and fifth Saturdays I did 12 and 15 mile long runs, respectively. Between mid-march and the first week of April I got in 5 x 1000s, 4 x 1600s, 8 x 800s, 6 x 1000s, and 8 x 800s. Times were good, between low 18 and low 19 5k pace. Mileage averaged around 50mi/week. The latter part of the week leading up to the race I think I caught a stomach virus; the nausea continued Saturday morning as Blake will tell ya (I was a running commentary of complaints haha). So going into the race I had few expectations. I had agreed to be on the TallaFASTies team, so I knew place was important, and there was prize money for 1-3 so it would be nice to place in the top 3.
    I felt okay on my warm-up and just told myself I would do the best I could. A whole slew of 5k and 10k runners lined up in the middle of Downtown Tallahassee. The gun went off and I had a good position. I comfortably moved into the first female spot before the first mile, hitting 5:55. I was a little surprised to hear a sub 6, but the first mile had been downhill. Hit a hill after the first mile and clocked a much slower split (6:37). At the 5k mark they had a clock set up. Katie caught me then and we went through in 19:29. She took the lead. I was feeling the pace. I kept her in sight and ran alongside some others. She was within reach the rest of the race, I even caught up to her a good bit the last mile but she finished 2 seconds in front of me. My first reaction upon seeing the clock was wow, under 39! A PR! By almost a minute! (38:59 > 39:50). My second reaction when crossing the finish line was anger. Ugh why hadn’t I tried a little harder? First female was like right in front of me! Plus based on my 5k and half marathon time I should be able to run at least a 38:30 (thanks internet). I am not really sure why I was so angry, but after cooling down 4 miles I felt better. Got some water and fruit and waited around for the results. Turns out some of the bibs were miscoded by the manufacturer so no awards ceremony! Luckily, they were able to give top 3 the cash and medals; $100 for me! All in all I really enjoyed the race. The rain held off, I had some great competition and a new PR, and won some cash! Plus we found out Wednesday our team won 1st place, by one point! I would definitely do this race again.
    Thanks to Kat for picture 1 and for letting me borrow the jersey! Thanks Blake for coming with me and for pictures 2 and 3, and thanks to everyone for cheering us on!

2 comments: