Sunday, March 25, 2018

Take Two – Albany Half Marathon (by Ann Centner)


    Back in March of 2016 I ran my first half marathon - the Albany Snickers. Last year I trained again, hitting 50-60 mile weeks all except taper week but was too sick to run. This year two weeks out I felt ready. I had built up with 6 weeks of 50-55 miles/week, which included a long run, a track workout, and hill repeats, plus 3 easier runs. I had a solid 15 mile run at 7:15 pace with Josh Grant out at Patrick & Erica’s and it was getting close to taper time. The last week consisted of ~25% reduction in mileage. Tuesday I did 10 400s’s (averaging 1:24’s) not pushing the pace and I felt the speed in my legs. The rest of the week I tried to rest up as much as I could, but the drop in mileage made me feel restless. While I went through bouts of nervous tension and excitement those last two weeks, the night before was probably the worst. I thought back to last year where I felt good enough to pick up my number, but woke the next morning with fever and exhaustion unable to leave the bed. I thought back to two years ago when I had a string of good months of training and ran a PR of 1:26. Then I thought of this year, when a back spasm put a damper on my December and January training. But the few runs of 12-15 miles I had gotten since then, plus the solid repeats ranging from 400s to 1000s not only prepared me physically, but gave me confidence that I could run 6:30’s for a 1:25. My high school track coach always had me set a time goal and a place goal. For big races I still like to do this. I wanted to go at least in the 1:25’s. And I wanted to go for 1st. The field the last several years varied so much. 1:26:22 won last year, 1:18:51 the year prior. So I knew the place goal could be fairly easy or simply out of reach, but those were my goals. 
                The morning of race day, I try and get up 2 hours before the start. This was a practice that one of my college XC coaches engrained in me. Get up, have a light carby breakfast, some caffeine, and allow the body to fully wake up. Despite the early 7am start, the morning of Snickers was no different. I got up, forced myself to eat banana & PB on toast, drink some pre-workout and head to the start. Once parked, I did leg swings, a little 5-10 minute jog, and some stretches to warm-up. Then I used the bathroom and headed to the start. It was a cool clear morning which I appreciated! I positioned myself near the front; soon we were off. Right away I picked out a female who looked far too comfortable with the 6:14 we hit the first mile... She started talking to me, asking what my goal was and I answered with as short a string of words as possible. When she discovered I would not be a good talking companion she begun chatting with the bicyclists riding alongside us. Over the course of the race she would continue to hold conversation with anyone who was near. We took turns in the female lead spot, I thought (foolishly) she would let me take the win since she had informed me she was not racing...
At the half way point I started feeling the 6:20 pace. The course was pretty flat, and the weather was cool, I just wasn’t in shape to go that fast. I wanted to back off considerably. 6:40s would still get me under 1:26, but I tried to run 6:30s. Another female came up and passed me maybe around mile 8. I tried to reel her back in, but couldn’t go any faster. Luckily, I still had another goal, so tried to keep my thoughts on keeping my (slower) pace to finish under 1:26. 
                Despite taking swallows of water and Gatorade at most aid stations, my stomach started cramping up with 2.5 miles to go. I tried to keep my thoughts positive telling myself I didn’t have far left and would regret not pushing it (despite the feeling as if my whole body was burning). I didn’t look at my watch those last miles, and when I came down the hill all I could see was the seconds in the 50s. I remember hoping it was not 1:25 but rather 1:24. I remember getting close enough and seeing 1:24 and being really happy that I hit my time goal (1:25:02) despite being 3rd female!). Seven seconds per mile faster than my best was a good improvement. Plus, I was pretty exhausted and knew I did my best. 15th out of 574 is pretty good. I also have motivation for next year, as the two ladies in front of me finished 13th (1:23:26) and 14th (1:23:40). 



                A little later on I tried to climb the hill and both my quads cramped up. I got some fluids down. Then attempted to do a cool down to reduce soreness later on. It ended up being about a 100m or 200m jog, followed by some stretching and a collapse in Blake’s car. J 
For this race they do 1, 2, and 3 overall. I got an awesome Albany tree canopy picture with engraved year and place below, a bright red dri-fit pullover, and a $50 gift card to Wildside running (which I can’t wait to put towards a new pair of shoes!).
I appreciated the aid stations, people cheerng, motivational signs, all who were at the finish and everyone who supports my crazy running lifestyle, thanks guys J special thanks to all GLCR members and Blake J







With Blake post-race! Sweat in my eyes.           When my cool down failed I decided to take a selfie ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment