Saturday, March 11, 2017

Snickers 2017: A "first marathon" report by Budd Bramlett

Snickers Marathon*
March 4, 2017
Budd Bramlett
(*Budd’s first marathon)

Just enjoying the pre-race energy (I don't tend to get too nervous before a race, unlike some...)


The Snickers Marathon was going to be my first full marathon, but before I start with the race let me first give you some background on me. I have been running for about 4-5 years with a bunch of really great people here in Albany, Ga. I’ve run countless 5K’s, 10K’s, half marathons, and one 50K trail run. I’m not really that fast or that focused on getting fast. I just enjoy the sport and interaction of running.


            The Snickers Marathon was approaching fast and I was not really on task with my training for the race. Come to think of it, I never really feel completely ready for any race. That being said, I never get nervous before a race I just get excited. I tackle it with the attitude that I will just give it my best and see who it goes. The weather for the race was going to be fairly cold to start, 39* or so which sucks. But what ya gonna do? My plan was to run a 9:30-10:00 pace for the first 10 or so miles.
with Dr. Tongol & Dr. Franco

with Karen and Chris

            The morning of the race I got up super early and ate breakfast, my normal routine, and got to the Civic Center early. It was cold! I was ready to run. The starting canon went off and scared the crap out of some out of town runners who were not expecting it. Hilarious. The race started and I was happy to be moving and not standing around.

.1 miles into the race, still feeling strong (obviously)

            I crossed the start line and ran up to Oglethorpe fairly slowly as there were people everywhere. All of a sudden I turned right onto Oglethorpe, the first time I had ever done that, it felt good. The first mile felt great of course, it was the first mile. My watch beeped and I looked down, SHIT 8:37 way too fast. O.K. Budd slow down I told myself. I was having a good time just enjoying the sights and the crowd of people yelling.
            I was feeling great. I was starting to warm up a little, not much, and getting into a comfortable pace. My watch beeped again, wait mile 2 already? I looked down, SHIT 8:34 still too fast. O.K. Budd slow your ass down you’re gonna pay for this later, I told myself again. We were thinning out a good bit by this time so I felt more comfortable, I don’t like big crowds.
somewhere between mile 3-4 (still feeling good)

            I was cruising along and you guess it, BEEP. I looked down at my watch, mile 3-8:23…… Crap. I continued to try and make myself slow down but couldn’t for some reason. I heard a scream from the side of the road, “Good Life City Runners!” I waved and felt myself get faster. Just calm down I thought it’s gonna be a long race. In case you hadn’t figured it out I talk to myself a lot on runs. It helps.
            The next 6 miles were below a 9 minute pace. I just felt too good to slow down knowing the entire time I would pay the price. In that time I dropped my gloves off with Jenn on the side of the road. Mile 10-14 were in the low to mid 9’s and still felt good. I ran the first ½ in record time for me at 1:56:31, not a good thing. I had started taking water and Gatorade at some of the stops which were every 2 miles. Mile 15-17 I was feeling a little tired, well maybe more than a little. People were everywhere screaming and cheering and it really was awesome. It would always pump me up a little and I would forget about my legs for a while.
            Mile 18, Jenn and I had a plan we discussed at the expo. She would be at 18 with Amino acids and caffeine shot-blocks. I was so needing that right about now. I eased up on mile 18 doing a 10:24 pace. I was starting to slow down and feeling the distance. Wait! There’s no Jenn. Oh well she’ll be up ahead soon I told myself. Mile 19-11:10 pace, feeling it even more. No Jenn. Mile 20-11:02 pace, toenail digging into the toe next to it. Still no Jenn.
            Mile 20.5, yes 20.5. My right inner quad and my left calf are cramping. Every time I land on either one I can feel it trying to lock up. I decide to stop and try to stretch them out. I passed an intersection with a cop standing there directing traffic and I stop after I pass him. I stretched my calf out and it felt great. I then decided to lift my right leg behind me and stretch my quad, bad decision. As soon as I lifted my leg my hamstring said “MY TURN” and cramped like hell. So there I was cramping and trying to walk it off. The cop asked if I was alright to which I replied, in a very high tone, I’m fine. I had to walk for about 400 feet to get my leg feeling normal again. I started slowly running once again. That was a 13:42 mile. Ouch!
And.... this is when it started sinking in--I was hurting.

            I crossed over Slappey Street and there was a water stop about mile 21 or so and just after that, low and behold….. JENN, thank God. She was great and pumped me full of BCAA’s and caffeine shot blocks which was life changing at the time. She made me keep walking and not stop which was good advice. I dumped water on my head and I was ready to continue. She drove ahead to catch me at the finish line. I was hurting but kept pushing about 20 minutes after the refueling session I was feeling a lot better. The next few miles I slowly picked up my pace.
After getting some fuel from Jenn (while the cramps had momentarily subsided)


            I kept telling myself, it’s only so many miles left. We turned onto Washington street, I think, and started the last little trek to the end. I ran most of that stretch with an Asian guy that I don’t think spoke any English. He never said a word during our entire 30 minute conversation. Oh well. He was hurting as bad as I was and that made me feel better.  I made the turn towards the planetarium and knew it was all over but the crying and cramping. I turned onto the river walk and could hear all the people at the end and got excited. As much as I wanted to sprint in at the finish I couldn’t go any faster. My legs were still trying to cramp and I was keeping a pace where that wouldn’t happen.
 Finishing chute-- practicing my "finishing kick"
(A fellow runner yelled "Sprint it in!" And I thought, "I am sprinting")
"keep moving keep moving keep moving keep moving..."

I crossed the finish line at 4:25:58. What-I was shooting for 4:30. I was very happy about that as I grabbed my medal. Oh no, keep walking…..my legs were fine as long as I kept moving. I ran across Maryanne and Carl Plowden and spoke for a second but had to keep walking.
 It's all over but the crying and cramping...
With some dude from Alabama (who was terribly nice, but unfortunately I don't remember his name. I will blame the extreme fatigue, and not the impression he made on me)

I looked for Patrick to share my pain with but I figured he had left by then. He only finished over 1 ½ hours before me. Later I found out he was still there trying to catch my finish but he had already had 4 beers and had lost track of time and place.

Semper Fi!

1 comment:

  1. Budd - Congratulations on completing the marathon this year, and imbedding a PR on the 13.1-mile time while you did it. I got the feeling that the 1:56 just sort of happened as a pleasant surprise. Hey, it counts. There are two things I like most about you as a person - 1) How you estimate your ability and 2) The way you allow things to unfold. What I enjoyed best about your post was that you described the optimism that we naturally feel the early stages of a race and the lift that the crowd gives us. At least as you began to hurt, you did not imagine Jenn as a mirage - like someone in the desert might - at mile 18. Ten bucks says says there was no parking spot to be had near that marking point. Am I right? Jay

    ReplyDelete