Wednesday, March 22, 2017

A Tale of a Runner United

I love running, that is plain and simple. I am also a mom to three fantastically different, wonderful kids, that is not always so plain and simple.

Me with Cyler, Brady, and Leila after the Snickers Half Marathon

My kids, Cyler (13), Brady (10), and Leila (7), have always (usually) been great sports when it comes to cheering at races. The 6 am wakeup call comes early on the Saturday morning of a race you are scheduled to run, but to stand in the cold and cheer like crazy at the beginning and the end of that race with three kids in tow takes a whole new level of commitment.  I award mad props to my husband, Matt. His willingness and example is why our kids view this early weekend morning ritual as “normal.” For our family, it is.

He began this tradition when we were in college. He readily gave up huge portions of his weekends to show up a couple of states away to watch me compete. Now, it is a bit different. He still gives up large chunks of a Saturday but now he does this while wrangling three kids. He manages to be present at different locations during longer races for cheering and support purposes while balancing requests for a breakfast sandwich and hot chocolate. I have the easy part, I just run the race.
Within the last three years we noticed a shift, our kids wanted in! While logistically challenging, the starting line now regularly holds all five of us, and sometimes our two dogs. It is incredibly rewarding to watch your kids develop an appreciation for a sport that I so dearly love.


Perkins Race Team
(pictures by me)

Not long ago, I registered the entire family as members of the Good Life City Runners (GLCR). When I brought home the shirts that were included in our membership, my kids were shocked. When asked why they seemed surprised my eldest responded, “Well, I didn’t know we could be part of the group. I thought we just came along because you ran a lot.” I asked him if he liked running the 5Ks and if he liked hanging out with everyone afterwards. He nodded his head with a funny twist in his smile, the one I recognize as surprised excitement. My middle one noticed Cyler’s excitement and asked when we could run a race with trees. (Brady has discovered trails early.)

 Brady after Chehaw nighttime race
Brady and Jen Bramlett after Chehaw Nighttime race
(Pictures courtesy of Matt Perkins)

Leila could never fathom being excluded in any group, so she accepted her shirt and skipped away happily ready for the next 5K.

We certainly aren’t the only family that comes out to support local races. In the last few years, that number is increasing steadily. The Good Life City Runners is a running home to many of these families. The support and encouragement that pours out to all levels and ages of runners is a major reason for its growing popularity. The Good Life City Runners is a group that looks out for all its members and celebrates in each victorious crossing of the finish line. Let me be clear, every person who crosses the finish line is victorious. That is plain and simple.


No comments:

Post a Comment