Monday, July 18, 2016

Gulf Winds Track Club Firecracker 5K

I have been looking for a closer 4th of July race and was hoping that the Tallahassee race would be it.  The verdict: I think I might look for something different next year.

The course was almost completely contained within a small park with moderately sized bicycle paths going around it. The turns were tight and frequent, and by the second lap I was having to run into the grass in order to get around walkers.

It was in the sweltering heat. It was one of those days when it gets cooler as the sun comes up. The overnight low was 77 with 99% humidity. This changed to about 81/80 by race time. The race director was drenched in sweat, and I already had sweat dripping from my fingertips.

I got some stares at the start line due to my footwear choice-- the Luna Venado with ankle-lacing. (I also had my hair in pigtails which probably annoyed the super-serious Tallahassee running folks).


Not knowing what to expect (with no real speedwork for several months), I decided to go out conservatively and reached the first mile in 4th or 5th place.  This had the added advantage of not having to predict where the turns were coming. The Tallahassee runners are a competitive bunch: two or three times I was cut off before going into turns. I felt like Jared Ward who had been elbowed by Galen Rupp at mile 13 during Rupps first marathon. It's like "WTF? The road is thirty feet wide; why are you elbowing me?"

I decided to pick it up the pace at about halfway in order to avoid the unnecessary drama. In about half a mile I had already put maybe 100 meters on the chase pack. First place was already a quarter mile ahead of me. Catching him never crossed my mind.



I felt like I was dying on the last mile because of the heat. I kept waiting for third place to go cruising by me, but I ended up a good 40s clear of third. I finished in 17:25

Afterwards Erica, Bells, and I drank mimosas and beer at a little bar near the awards ceremony.


Everything in Tallahassee was closed except for a park with some beautiful gardens. The park attendant was happy to take our money, give Bells a treat at the gate, and tell us where the garden was located, but failed to mention that dogs were not allowed.


No comments:

Post a Comment