Tuesday, July 26, 2016

2016 Devil Take The Hindmost run, FSU's Mike Long Track

This past weekend I had an opportunity to participate in a unique event in Tallahassee. I missed out on it last year since I was out of town. Even though I was origanlly suppose to be on the other side of the country I was excited to get a chance to do it this year. 

The race is straightforward the person that is last each lap is taken by the "Devil". Or shall I say the lady dressed in a devil costume. Every two minutes starts a new lap & you have to have completed the previous lap before the next one starts. So In addition to not being the last finisher you had to finish each lap in 2 minutes as that is when the next lap starts.

After arriving at the beautiful FSU track, Alisa and I changed into our running gear. We started with a warmup and some basic stretching. Alisa & I discussed our goals. Mine was to make it at least 8 laps. Hers was to not be the first one snatched of the track as she had spent the earlier part of the day zipping around town on a bike workout. 

Participants and innocent bystanders started to gather near the start line to see the Devil snatch away the unlucky runners each passing lap. Us runners received a two minute warning to the start of our journey to hell. The race started with the Devil leading the 23 participants in an untimed opening lap. After that the clock was turned on and we were off. The first time lap was slow @ about 1:45. Everyone was being catious which lead to a sprint to the finish. Alisa made the cut & wasn't the first one gone. Unfortunately she fell victim to her bike workout & the devil got her.


I breezed through the first mile with the same easy pace & kick to end the lap. The pace picks up some each passing lap as the feild begins to shrink. At 8 laps I was feeling a little hot but good. Alisa brought me over some water as we started the next few laps.

By lap 10 the pace was now getting into the mid 80 second range. After 11 I was starting to feel the heat. By 12 I felt done.  I even started the 13th lap a second or two behind as I contemplated dropping out. Hey, I made it further than my goal. But I went for it. At 150 meters into the lap I was about 10 meters behind the next runner, with me being in last. At 200 meters I decided to go for it & sprinted. I managed to catch & pass the feild finishing the lap in first. Unfortunately I still fell victim to the Devil, as I didn't start the next lap. I finished tied for 9th place with two other runners, one that was in last at the end of the lap and another runner that couldn't go on like me. The rest of the participants kept it going, picking up the pace each lap until only one was left.

Overall it was a fun and novel race to get a good workout in. In retrospect I should have at least started the next lap instead of dropping out. This is especially true since I had 40 seconds left between the laps & threw in the towel to early. Maybe next year I can outrun the Devil. 

*Photos courtesy of Herb Wills check out his blog for more about the race: http://troubleafoot.blogspot.com/2016/07/devil-2016.html?m=1


No comments:

Post a Comment